End of Term 2 and Return from Break
December 14, 2022
Dear GEC Family:
It is the final push of Term 2! I know there are many moving pieces we are all navigating, and on behalf of the entire GEC community, I want to say thank you to everyone for the commitment and dedication that is being poured into finishing the term strong. It is an exciting time as we prepare to celebrate our January Class of 2023 in their upcoming graduation and celebrate the tremendous growth in our community for all of our students during Term 2. Additionally, we are on the cusp of our Winter Break, and I know this is a much-needed time for rest, recovery, and reset as we move into the New Year.
Today I am writing to share with you some updates and reminders around our return from winter break health and safety protocols and some key dates.
- Thursday, December 15th – the last day of Term 2 (all grades are due and will be available for review in PowerSchool)
- Friday, December 16th – winter break begins for our students
- Monday, December 19th and Tuesday, December 20th – both GEC sites are open for staff only for planning and end of term wrap up
- Wednesday, December 21st – Monday, January 2nd – GEC is closed for Winter Break
- Tuesday, January 3rd – GEC staff return for Term 3 preparations
- Thursday, January 5th – schedules for Term 3 are available in PowerSchool for students and coach outreach will take place
- Monday, January 9th – Term 3 begins at both sites
As we move into the colder months and continue to stay vigilant of continued cases of COVID-19, the flu, and RSV, we want to remind everyone about our health and safety protocols. The health and safety of our community is a top priority.
As such, to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19 after winter break, we are taking the following actions and precautions:
- Requiring all staff, regardless of vaccination status, to take a rapid antigen test between Monday, January 2nd and the morning of Tuesday, January 3rd before arriving to work on Tuesday, January 3rd.
- Requiring all students, regardless of vaccination status, to take a rapid antigen test between Sunday, January 8th and the morning of Monday, January 9th before arriving for classes on Monday, January 9th.
- Rapid antigen tests are available at both campuses in the main office and you can ask. Ms. Dawn Rhodes or Ms. Elisabeth Richardson for test kits to take home over the holiday break for testing.
- Any positive test must be submitted:
- GEC Staff Members – if you test positive, you must submit a photo with a time stamp of your test to your Lead and Chelsea Kirk for next steps
- GEC Students – if you test positive, you must submit a photo with a time stamp of your test to your Coach and Chelsea Kirk
- For any positive result, the COVID Response Team will act on next steps
- We are not collecting negative test results.
If you are a student who only takes virtual classes and are not coming into the building, you do not need to test. However, any student who is coming into the building for Term 3, will be required to test. Likewise with all staff members before their return.
Of course, we will continue to follow all Health and Safety protocols on site and our Health and Safety Plan is available on our website for your review.
I want to wish everyone a wonderful winter break and a happy holiday season as we approach the end of Term 2. On behalf of the entire GEC community, I thank you again – all students and staff – for your commitment to GEC and all you bring to GEC to make it such a special space where everyone can excel.
I look forward to seeing everyone when we return in 2023! We have so much ahead in 2023 – three more terms, many new GEC students with our continued enrollment, two graduations, and our alumni community will be expanded to over 500 graduates! I wish everyone an excellent start to the New Year and a fantastic end to Term 2! As always, please do not hesitate to reach out should you have any questions or concerns.
Dr. Chelsea Kirk